Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Question of Choice


When I was younger I used to love to go "clubbing". Friends of mine were top DJs playing with Sasha, Digweed and Nigel Benn. Their mixing was flawless and the tune selection always moved the crowd. I learned a lot about djing through them. Although I wasn't a dance DJ I learned how to construct sets and I was, by all accounts (not mine), a great dj. The proof of this was in the calibre of gigs that I got. I was a mobile music man doing 21sts, weddings, 50ths as well as some plug in and play gigs around town too. I still love the dance music but as a father of two, it's not easy to get out that much any more and although I stay young at heart, I know that if I were to appear at one of those places, they'd look at me funny. And with good reason. I'm only 40 btw.

One of the things I remember from those heady days was the signs. When a great track would come on some people would hold up a card with "CHOON" or "TOON" written on it. "CHEWIN'" may have been closer to the point. If you were a clubba, you understand. So it got me thinking. I write notes phonetically sometimes such as Thank Ewe or refer to today as Chewsday or even Chooseday. One day I stopped to take a look at what I'd written, Chooseday.

The shortest and most powerful sentence in the English language is "I am". Full and complete. It's the answer to a question and it's a statement. It's a very powerful statement. I am. Say it out loud in front of a mirror. Look yourself deep in the eyes and day "I am". I'm puffing out my chest just writing it! I am. Amazing. Powerful. So what does "I" do then to reinforce this fact? Descartes said "Cogito ergo sum", I think therefore I am. That was in the days before television though. Instead of a lack of education to control the masses these days, I believe that people in a position of power use the television. It keeps the masses docile and let's them know what to think. Research has shown, in fact, that television causes mild depression. Once we watch TV we don't have to think. Like a scene from The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams, we should, according to Descartes, disappear when we watch it. Ok, so I'm being facile.

I believe that the best thing the "I" can do to affirm her or his power as an individual is to consciously say "I choose...", I Am So I Choose. This is simple in its concept but boy oh boy, does it have a lot of weight by its implications. Think about it, I Am So I Choose. Well suddenly this means I'm not a victim of circumstance anymore. Whatever is happen in my life is not because of something that is happening "out there". Now I have to take responsibility for my actions. I wasn't late because the traffic was so heavy, I was late because I didn't leave in time to factor in a traffic jam. I'm unfit because I choose not to exercise as much as I should. I not not an entrepreneur because I choose not to leave the herd or my comfort zone.

Two-and-a-half years ago, I would have found that very harsh. "What do you mean I'm stuck behind a desk because I choose to be?! I have a family and mortgage and yady ya ya..." That was me, really. I used to say and still say Yady ya. Then I started down the road of personal development. You see that word there before "development"? It's "personal". I'm choosing to develop myself and in a personal way. I'm not looking to change everything around me first. Why? Because as I development myself, sure as God made little green apples (it's from a song), my environment will develop with me. And so, at the end of the day, it's my choice. It's my day to choose happiness (see Andy Andrews book The Traveller's Gift on happiness as a choice), to choose success and to choose to be grateful for what I have. Everyday for me is a Chooseday because I am. So perhaps start today, Tuesday, to consciously make a choice to do something with your "I". It doesn't have to be a trip to the moon, just start your sentence with "I choose to...".

So just before I choose to wrap up here, I choose not to watch much television. In fact, public figures have died without me knowing, global disasters have occurred without me knowing until a few days later and I can tell you now, I don't miss it. And although I'm not a mutli-millionaire right now through choices that I had made, now it's just a matter of time. I choose to be successful so I choose that actions that are going to get me there. And how do I know I'm going to get there? Because it's not over until I win. Make it a great Chooseday, whatever day it is.




I am a sat-at-home father of 1 (so far. We plan more) and I live in Ireland. I am only new to being a father and loving it. I have been working this business since October 2007 with great success and I personally believe that everyone should at least be aware that they have a choice on how they spend their time to generate an income. I can be found at http://www.thepathichoose.com or I would appreciate any comments at my my blog http://adadsuccess.blogspot.com/

Together, we're better.




No comments:

Post a Comment